Monday, May 6, 2013
Sussex Fire Chief Corky Curtis isn't concerned about the state's maintenance program, but some area chiefs said there's room for improvement.
Ten years ago, the lives of an ambulance crew in central Wisconsin were changed forever when a balding tire caused their vehicle to lose traction on a wet highway, skid across the median and roll over. In the resulting accident, the patient being transported died and the crew was injured, none more so than Matt Deicher of Mosinee. “I flew and hit my face onto the back doors of the ambulance,” Deicher told WISN 12 News. Deicher was paralyzed. He believes the July 2003 accident could have been prevented "very, very easily." Just two days earlier, the lone state ambulance inspector gave the Mosinee Fire Department 10 days to replace balding tires on the vehicle. The crew was unaware of the report before the run. A decade later, not much has …
Saturday, May 4, 2013
A fire started in a hopper inside one building of the expansive industrial building Saturday.
The Sussex Fire Department spent Saturday afternoon extinguishing a small fire at the Quad/Graphics plant. Sussex Fire Chief Corky Curtis said the blaze started in a hopper near a loading bay off of Highway 74. Curtis said the emergency fire control systems kicked in and controlled the fire. The fire was contained to one building, but employees in that building were evacuated. No flames or smoke were visible from the exterior of the building, and no injuries were reported. Five engines from Sussex and Lisbon were dispatched to the scene. Firefighters were on the scene just before noon Saturday, and ensured the safety systems had successfully extinguished the fire. Crews were still on the scene at roughly 1:15 p.m. monitoring the scene.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
A fire caused an estimated $1,000 in damage at a Sussex company.
A fire caused minor damage to construction equipment in a storage room at Quad Med early morning. The fire, caused by a ceiling heater malfunction, burned a push cart and plastic construction equipment. Fire officials are estimating $1,000 worth of damage. Fire crews found light smoke and extinguished the fire. The early activation of the fire sprinkler system limited the amount of damage caused by the fire, according to a release from theVillage of Sussex Fire Department. There were no injuries.
Thursday, March 7, 2013
Sussex recently implemented its paramedics program, but the Menomonee Falls Fire Department has other priorities to focus on before adding that service in the village.
In January, the Sussex Fire Department implemented its paramedics program and joined a collection of surrounding communities that already provide the service. But don’t expect Falls to follow suit in the near future. Larger communities like Brookfield and Wauwatosa all provide paramedics services at their departments. Even small communities like Lisbon and Thiensville offer the service, and Sussex has roughly 20 trained paramedics who are now using their skills in the field. Sussex is among the communities that provides mutual aid to Menomonee Falls when paramedics are required. Fire chiefs in Sussex, Falls, and Brookfield have said that the earlier care can be administered, the shorter the hospital stay for patients. Paramedics are the …
Saturday, February 16, 2013
Sussex firefighters were among 10 departments involved in battling a blaze at Walenta Grinding near 126th Street and Burleigh Avenue in Brookfield. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters from 10 area departments, including Sussex, responded to a Saturday morning blaze at a Brookfield grinding plant on 126th Street, just north of Burleigh Road. Patch's media partners at WISN Channel 12 are reporting that the fire at Walenta Grinding, 3150 N. 126th St., broke out around 9 a.m. An off-duty police officer saw smoke in the area and called 911, WISN reported. The fire was confined to one small area of the building and no injuries were reported, according to WISN. It was brought until control around 10 a.m. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that more than 10 area fire departments assisted in battling the blaze. Walenta Grinding was founded in 1949 and is a centerless grinding machine shop that provides …
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Residents in the village, and in their time of need, will enjoy constant paramedic service from their local fire department.
There’s a common misconception that when an ambulance zooms along the road paramedics are in tow ready to save a life. Paramedics are the highest trained life-saving emergency personnel, but in many cases the responders are EMT technicians — not paramedics. In both cases, the level of care is high, but those who are trained as paramedics can administer certain medications and provide care at the highest certifiable level. Since 2006, through a partnership with Lake County Fire Department, Sussex residents could rely on a paramedic arriving on the scene when that level of care is needed. As of Tuesday, the Sussex Fire Department can now provide paramedic service to residents 24 hours a day on its own. “It’s extremely important,” said Sussex…
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Sussex fire officials seeking help in keeping hydrants free from snow.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Now that winter has arrived, the Sussex Fire Department is asking residents and businesses to "adopt a fire hydrant" by keep it clear of snow. The department would like everyone in the village to keep an eye on the hydrant closest to their home (or business) and make sure that there is no snow within 3 feet of the hydrant. Doing so will allow the department to quickly locate a hydrant for firefighting activities and give the firefighters room to work should the need arise. It may take four to six minutes to dig out a fire hydrant, and because a fire can double in size every 20 seconds, any time wasted trying to dig out a hydrant could have devastating consequences. The department also is asking residents to hep out elderly neighbors or …
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Rescue personnel work for an hour and 20 minutes to free the man, who was taken to Froedtert Hospital by Flight for Life.
The condition of a 23-year-old man is unknown after his arm was caught in a press machine this morning in Sussex, according to fire department officials. Medical and rescue personnel were called to Nature's Path, located at W227 N6088 Sussex Road, at 6 a.m. for a subject trapped in a press machine. For the next hour and 20 minutes rescue crews attempted to free the man from the machine. In all, 16 personnel and six pieces of equipment needed to be used. Fire officials also requested maintenance personnel from nearby Quad Graphics who have expertise with press machinery to assist. In addition, Rotating Equipment Repair assisted with numerous tools to assist with the extrication. The man was flown to Froedtert Hospital by Flight for …
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Residents are ushered out of the local stores until power is back online, a process that will take all afternoon.
Sussex-area residents shopping at a dozen local businesses – including the Main Street Pick ‘n Save – were cut short Thursday morning after a piece of power equipment failed, leaving the stores in the dark. Power was lost around 11:30 a.m., according to WE Energies representative Brian Manthey, and it's still in the process of being repaired. He says the repairs will take all afternoon. “It’s still going on right now,” Manthey said. “It looks like in Sussex there are 12 customers out of power. They’re still working on repairs… We’re still doing repairs, and it will most likely take the rest of the afternoon, until about 5 or 5:30 p.m.” Manthey said he’s unsure what specifically caused the power outage along Main Street, but he knows …
Friday, July 27, 2012
Cars on Main is back, and the neighboring community says it's expecting 300 cars.
Looking for something to do this weekend? The Lannon Fire Department is bringing back an old tradition: Cars on Main. Starting at 7 a.m. on Sunday with the local Cub Scouts' pancake breakfast at the Lannon Fire Department, the car show will feature prized possessions from collectors up and down Main Street. The Lannon and Sussex Fire Departments will even have their antique fire trucks on display. Starting at 10 a.m., the fire department will start selling burgers, brats, hot dogs, soda and beer, and all the proceeds will benefit the Cub Scouts, Lannon Lions and the Lannon Flame Tamers. A portion will also benefit the Sussex-Area Food Pantry and Elmbrook Humane Society. Lannon Village President Jerry Newman says they’re expecting up to …