- Position sought: Hamilton School Board, Menomonee Falls seat
- Address: W171N4915 Greenview Ave., Menomonee Falls
- Family: Married for 23 years to Glenn
Children - 2 school-age sons, 3 adult sons
Yorkshire Terrier named Hazel
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting - University of MN, Twin Cities Postgraduate studies in Industrial Relations - University of MN, Twin Cities
- Occupation: Account Associate at Capri Communities, LLC
- Related experience: Hamilton School District Board member since 2006; Hamilton School District Board Personnel Committee Chairperson since 2010; Hamilton Hoops, Ltd. Basketball Club Treasurer since 2003; Volunteer in Hamilton District schools for 12+ years; Former Parent Advisory Council member at Templeton Middle School (2003-2008); Former Get Connected board member (2004-2006); Poverty Simulation volunteer participant multiple times; Hamilton School District referendum committee member (2001-2002)
Why are you running for this office?
I believe in the value of public education. I believe in the mission and vision of the Hamilton School District. I possess the knowledge, the drive and the passion to serve my community in the capacity of a school board member. I work best in a collaborative, strategic environment. I want to continue to serve with this impactful group of policy-makers to ensure that Hamilton remains a district where all participants feel valued - students, staff, community and taxpayers.
What will be your single most important priority if you get elected?
Our highest priorities have to be in the classrooms. We are responsible to raise and realize the achievement potential of EVERY student in the Hamilton School District and to do it in a fiscally responsible way. As a public entity, we have always dealt with limited resources and had to make challenging decisions. Being fiscally responsible is nothing new here - we are one of the lowest spending, yet highest achieving districts in southeastern Wisconsin. It will remain our duty to continue that trend.
What is the biggest issue in this race and how will you address it, if elected?
The biggest issue facing the Hamilton School District has been, and always will be, our driving mission - to build and maintain a high quality school system that operates in a fiscally responsible manner. We need to ensure that every graduate possesses the knowledge, skills, awareness and character to confidently tackle whatever they choose in the next phase of their life....whether that leads them to college, technical school, the military or out into the workforce.
We invest a great deal of time developing a strategic plan to guide us and to allow us to monitor our goal accomplishments. This allows us to keep the focus on our vision of quality education with efficient and effective use of limited resources, no matter what changes occur in the external environment. I actively participated in the process of strategic planning here in the District long before I was on the Board and I will continue to do so.
How do you feel about Act 10 and how it affects Hamilton School District?
That Hamilton School District has always been fiscally responsible. We have already been able to implement changes that have cut costs, such as moving our employees' retirement benefits from defined-benefit to defined contribution, which saved us over $30,000,000. Provisions in Act 10 made that move possible. However, I feel that we won't truly be able to evaluate all of the effects of Act 10 until a good deal of time has passed. We can't know yet what impact it will have on our ability to attract and retain the highest quality staff, which I feel is critical to our continued success. I want Hamilton to be a school district where all parties feel valued - students, staff, community and taxpayers.
What sets you apart from the other candidate?
I run with no hidden agenda. I have six years of experience on the Board and want to continue to serve the communities of the Hamilton District. I am present in the schools on a regular basis, I read all that I can to be informed and knowledgeable in my representation and I offer a multi-faceted perspective as a parent, a volunteer and a tax payer. I also possess appropriate education and experience in various financial arenas that I consistently utilize and apply in my role as a Board member.