When I ask myself, "Are you really going to give up your free time after work and on weekends to stand out there in the cold and snow in the middle of the Wisconsin winter, take abusive name-calling and rude gestures by passers-by to collect signatures to recall a man who has only been in office less than a year?"
The answer is a simple: Hell Yes!!!
I am not a union member or a state employee, but I understand the difference between right and wrong and I do not take kindly to bullies. I thank my grandfather for that.
My grandpa was raised during the depression and went on to fight in Korea and came home to raise a large family while working two or three jobs at a time to keep afloat, until his company was sold to new owners, who promptly let all non-union employees go. My grandfather was not a member of the union, so at the ripe age of 57, he was off to look for a new line of work and found it in heavy construction - a job that offered no benefits or insurance (thanks Reganomics).
Needless to say, more than half of his check went towards catastrophic insurance policies for himself and my grandmother. And since they were my guardians, I also had no insurance. I learned one life lesson early on - when someone tries to kick you around, fight back!
I can understand and have empathy with those who might need a little assistance now and then in the form of BadgerCare or Medicaid. I empathize with those who wish to belong to a union to ensure livable wages and decent benefits. I empathize with those who cannot afford private schools or who simply believe in the diversity and mission of public schools to educate all children.
So you can bet your butt I will be out there on street corners and in front of shopping centers asking for your signature to recall a man who has:
- Cut $1.6 Billion from public education
- Diverted $41 Million from public ed to voucher and charter schools
- Slashed $500 Million from Medicaid and BadgerCare
- Destroyed public unions in an effort to de-fund campaign donations to Democrats
- Rear-ended every state-worker from Kenosha to Rhinelander by cutting take-home pay by 10%
- Vilified teachers by demeaning their profession and insulting their intelligence
- Taken a phony phone call from billionaire polluter "David Koch" and admitted he "thought about" bringing in fake agitators to the peaceful demonstrations in Madison.
- Has the worst haircut and bald spot in state government
Now, you don't have to agree with the movement to recall Scott Walker, and you certainly do not have to sign the petition, but if you love America and what it stands for, please respect our right to petition the government for redress of grievances.
Oh, and no "outside agitators" please. We like to run a clean fight.